Community

Modesto is our town. There are tons of things that make it great. There are a bunch of things that we can do to make it better. We can volunteer, help others, give ideas, talk a lot, gather together, get a new job and a variety of things. We try to make it easier to find some community resources to make life better and more fun.

When a friend comes up to you and complains, “I would really like to volunteer, but I don’t know where to go”, you have a snappy answer. Here are some organizations that really need help. Whether you have time, money, ideas or all of the above, please contact these organizations and help our community. Every project, no matter how small will have a positive impact. There are so many things in Modesto that make our community great. This page has a variety of resources to help make you aware of things that we all can do in our city. Here are some main issues that you need to know.

community

InterView – The Force is with Wes Page

InterView – The Force is with Wes Page

InterView The Force is With Wes Page By Chris Murphy There are people in our lives who really make an impact, with vision, wisdom, outlook and integrity. My friend Wes Page has been one of those voices of vision in Modesto and he has the eye of a filmmaker. It might be coincidence that Wes’ […]

By April 30, 2018 Read More →
ChefView: Kimoto We Like The Way You Roll

ChefView: Kimoto We Like The Way You Roll

ChefView: Kimoto We Like The Way You Roll by Brandilyn Brown and Christopher Mitchell Looking for fresh seafood and sushi? Us too! We found the most delightful dishes at our local “izakaya” (Japanese for “stay in sake shop” or what we call a Japanese Pub), Kimoto Sake & Sushi in Modesto. Owner Brandon Dodge and […]

By April 30, 2018 Read More →
5 questions with Zodiac Gallery’s Dustin Carpenter

5 questions with Zodiac Gallery’s Dustin Carpenter

5 questions with Zodiac Gallery’s Dustin Carpenter by Monica Barber   Six to eight months ago, Dustin Carpenter was playing an art walk at Colossal tattoo in Turlock and I might’ve have overlooked him, but the music & beats he was playing caught my ear and blew my mind. Musically known by the moniker, Zodiac […]

By April 29, 2018 Read More →
Youth Art Show

Youth Art Show

The Carnegie Arts Center announces the Fourth Annual Youth Art Exhibition: Ready, Set, Show! June 1 – July 1, 2018  Turlock, CA – A unique exhibition will be on view this summer at the Carnegie Arts Center in Downtown Turlock.  Youth in grades K-12 (ages 5-18) are invited to present their creative work to the public […]

By April 28, 2018 Read More →
Pirates, Beer, Wine & Food

Pirates, Beer, Wine & Food

MJC Athletics Pirates Fest fundraiser features beer, wine and food tasting (Modesto, CA)—The Modesto Junior College Athletics Department and MJC Foundation invite the community to the 19th Annual Pirates Fest – Beer, Wine and Food Celebration on Friday, May 11, 6 – 9 p.m. in the Mary Stuart Rogers Student Learning Center on West Campus, 2201 Blue Gum Avenue, Modesto. The […]

By April 27, 2018 Read More →
MJC Theater stages Four Seasons

MJC Theater stages Four Seasons

MJC Theater stages “Four Seasons” – four one act plays by Professor Michael Lynch The Modesto Junior College Theater Department presents “Four Seasons” – four original one act plays written and directed by Professor Michael Lynch on May 10, 11, 12, 17, 18 and 19 at 7 p.m. in the Cabaret West Theatre of the […]

By April 25, 2018 Read More →
Puppies

Puppies

National Puppy Day was March 23rd a month ago today. Publisher Chris Murphy posted a picture of the ModestoView Pup Lucy the Lab and declared it the “Cutest Day of the Year.” Many of our readers posted pictures of their own canines and I have to say I am glad I didn’t have to narrow […]

By April 23, 2018 Read More →
Mentor High School Students

Mentor High School Students

Interested in Mentoring a High School Student? SCOE Looking for Mentors for 6 Cups to College Mentoring Program   Interested in mentoring a high school student as he or she transitions to college? The Stanislaus County Office of Education (SCOE) is currently looking for mentors for its 6 Cups to College Mentor Program. This program […]

By April 18, 2018 Read More →
Boat Expo at Woodward Reservoir

Boat Expo at Woodward Reservoir

Stanislaus County Parks and Recreation is bringing a Boat Expo to the main boat ramp of Woodward Reservoir from Friday, April 20th through Sunday, April 22nd, 2018. Hours of the event are Friday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. The public is invited […]

By April 13, 2018 Read More →
FitView – Train Like a Frogman

FitView – Train Like a Frogman

FitView By Efren Martinez Train Like A Frogman When we think of a frogman, most of us usually tie that with a Navy Seal. My comparison would be to train similar to one of these heroes if you’re a tri-athlete. Just recently I headed back to the Sea of Cortez for some winter open-ocean training. […]

By April 11, 2018 Read More →
SongwriterView: Spurs

SongwriterView: Spurs

Spurs By Patty Castillo Davis In Rodeo, spurs are a tool, dull and proven, with rowels used for prompting persuasion to confront being uncomfortable and encourage moving forward. We can spur our local music community on by putting our support behind venues that propel diverse music choices. The Barkin Dog Grill, Congregation Beth Shalom, Moon […]

ComedyView: April Showers

ComedyView: April Showers

ComedyView By Felicia Aleman Hello, hello, hello.  Welcome to the April edition of Comedy View.  This month’s theme for the Modesto View is sports.  As a comic, I will do my best to resist making any “kicking it into the basket for a home run” jokes. Have you been keeping up with my monthly interview videos, “Run the Light” on ModestoView.com? It […]

By April 7, 2018 Read More →
Non Profit View:Before I Die Wall

Non Profit View:Before I Die Wall

Non-Profit View: Community Hospice Presents Before I Die Wall Stanislaus and San Joaquin County will be celebrating National Healthcare Decisions Day, April 16. 2018, by helping to promote positive conversation about death and dying in our community. Community Hospice will be hosting a “Before I Die Wall” to help friends and neighbors think about the […]

By April 5, 2018 Read More →
GEEKView: May the Fourth Be With You

GEEKView: May the Fourth Be With You

GEEKView: May the Fourth Be With You By Middagh Goodwin   Since 1977, “May the Force be With You” has been part of the global lexicon. This phrase, created by Modesto native George Lucas symbolizes the magic and influence of his epic film Star Wars, the follow-up film to his breakthrough American Graffiti. Just say […]

By April 4, 2018 Read More →
MAMAView: Preparing for the Road

MAMAView: Preparing for the Road

MAMAView: Preparing for the Road By Middagh Goodwin We have entered the first days of Spring, and as musicians, we are looking towards the Summer. The weather is warming up, and plans for touring is at least in the back of your mind. Unfortunately quite often like the rabbit we are not entirely prepared when […]

By April 3, 2018 Read More →