Community

Modesto is our town. There are tons of things that make it great. There are a bunch of things that we can do to make it better. We can volunteer, help others, give ideas, talk a lot, gather together, get a new job and a variety of things. We try to make it easier to find some community resources to make life better and more fun.

When a friend comes up to you and complains, “I would really like to volunteer, but I don’t know where to go”, you have a snappy answer. Here are some organizations that really need help. Whether you have time, money, ideas or all of the above, please contact these organizations and help our community. Every project, no matter how small will have a positive impact. There are so many things in Modesto that make our community great. This page has a variety of resources to help make you aware of things that we all can do in our city. Here are some main issues that you need to know.

community

BluesView Summertime Blues

BluesView Summertime Blues

BluesView: Summertime Blues By Earl Matthews Hello everyone, the dog days of summer are here again, and for some crazy reason, that means there is a ton of fun stuff going on. In fact, there is so much to do that I hope you look at the calendar because I don’t have room to talk […]

By August 13, 2018 Read More →
ArtView – Hot August Nights

ArtView – Hot August Nights

Art View By Jim Christiansen I hope Hot August Nights aren’t as hot as July Art Walk. But rain or shine, downtown Third Thursday Art Walk goes on. In case you missed it, there is some carryover into August for show openings you might missed. First one to close is the Celebration of Fiber Arts […]

Unplugged View – The Little Sparrow

Unplugged View – The Little Sparrow

Unplugged View By Aaron Rowan The Little Sparrow I remember thinking that if Neil Young were here to witness this, he would have offered her a slot at his Bridge School Benefit concert then and there. Of all the musical moments I’ve curated, this is the one I recall most vividly and fondly – Effie […]

By August 12, 2018 Read More →
InterView – Joe Traina

InterView – Joe Traina

InterView Joe Traina and the Fruityard By Chris Murphy The Traina family has long been synonymous with locally grown fruit and vegetables. Long timers know their Traina dried food that’s produced in Patterson, California and many know the great prime rib and the Sunday brunches at the Fruit Yard east of Modesto. Over the years, […]

All AgesView – Waiting for Picture

All AgesView – Waiting for Picture

AllAgesView By Leia Johnson “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” -William Butler Yeats Happy Leo season! With the Sun in Leo, there are feelings of independence, expressiveness, and playfulness! These are the perfect tools for beginning the school year. You can use your elevated independence to spend […]

SongwriterView Best Month of Summer

SongwriterView Best Month of Summer

AUGUST 2018 SONGWRITER VIEW The Best Month of Summer By Patty Castillo Davis After months of sweltering conditions, we finally feel a tempering in the weather and a swell in music festivals. You know what I mean, dirty feet, mosquito bites, stringed instruments like you’ve never seen before, 11 part harmonies, smoke for days and […]

Earth’s Treasures

Earth’s Treasures

On the fourth weekend of September, bring your family to the Lodi Grape Festival Fairgrounds for the Earth’s Treasures Gem and Mineral Show. Pan for gold, open geodes, examine fossils, explore for crystals, learn how to turn rocks into gems and jewelry. Lots of precious things for sale. September 22 and 23, ten to five. Admission, […]

GeekView StocktonCon

GeekView StocktonCon

GEEKView: StocktonCon By Middagh Goodwin I have said it before, and I will say it again, for a “geek” it is a great time to be alive. When I was younger we were lucky to have one or at most two movies released in a year, we watched re-runs of Star Trek and Batman on […]

Edible Extravaganza Celebrates 32 Years

Edible Extravaganza Celebrates 32 Years

Center for Human Services Celebrates 32nd Annual Edible Extravaganza! Center for Human Services’ Edible Extravaganza is back! This year, Edible Extravaganza celebrates 32 years as the Central Valley’s most-anticipated food and beverage show. Last year, more than 1,200 people attended this signature event, with this year’s event projected to be just as popular. The 32nd Edible Extravaganza […]

By August 8, 2018 Read More →
Back to School Safety Tips

Back to School Safety Tips

Getting ready to go Back to School. We have some suggestions for both Adults and Children to keep safe. Drivers should remember that as the new school year begins kids will be walking, crossing streets and maybe not be paying attention on their way to school. Parents should talk to their kids about getting to […]

By August 6, 2018 Read More →
Back to School Back Packs

Back to School Back Packs

Back to School BackPacks by Middagh Goodwin Here are a few options to help with “Back to School” supplies. Over the years the cost of supplies has risen to almost a months rent. Schools are providing less each year and Teachers just can not keep up with their student’s needs. Here are a few great resources to help those […]

By August 6, 2018 Read More →
Fitter at 50

Fitter at 50

FitView: Fitter at 50 By Efren Martinez Last month I turned 50 years young and I’m the healthiest and happiest I’ve ever been in my life. It’s taken me 15 years of a dedicated healthy lifestyle that included a strict diet and long hours of fitness to be fit at 50. Sure I’ve had a […]

By August 4, 2018 Read More →
ArtView: Hot August Art

ArtView: Hot August Art

Art View – August 2018 By Jim Christiansen I hope Hot August Nights aren’t as hot as July Art Walk.  But rain or shine, downtown Third Thursday Art Walk goes on.  In case you missed it, there is some carryover into August for show openings you might missed.  First one to close is the Celebration […]

By August 3, 2018 Read More →
The Best Month of Summer

The Best Month of Summer

SONGWRITERVIEW: The Best Month of Summer By Patty Castillo Davis After months of sweltering conditions, we finally feel a tempering in the weather and a swell in music festivals. You know what I mean, dirty feet, mosquito bites, stringed instruments like you’ve never seen before, 11 part harmonies, smoke for days and memories. A whole […]

ComedyView: It’s Hot

ComedyView: It’s Hot

ComedyView: It’s Hot By Felicia Aleman Hello, hello, hello. It’s August, it’s hot, I’m over summer and want my hair dry. You too? Go to a show–air conditioning is included with admission. Might I suggest you check out an open mic? Open mics are a place where anyone can show up and try comedy and […]

By August 1, 2018 Read More →