Community

Modesto is our town. There are tons of things that make it great. There are a bunch of things that we can do to make it better. We can volunteer, help others, give ideas, talk a lot, gather together, get a new job and a variety of things. We try to make it easier to find some community resources to make life better and more fun.

When a friend comes up to you and complains, “I would really like to volunteer, but I don’t know where to go”, you have a snappy answer. Here are some organizations that really need help. Whether you have time, money, ideas or all of the above, please contact these organizations and help our community. Every project, no matter how small will have a positive impact. There are so many things in Modesto that make our community great. This page has a variety of resources to help make you aware of things that we all can do in our city. Here are some main issues that you need to know.

community

MetalView HellHeart

MetalView HellHeart

MetalView-HellHeart by Eve Oberlander It is my honor to present you Best Metal 2017 MAMA Award winner, HellHeart!  HellHeart consists of Alie Grabowski Vocals, Kevin Nelson Drums, Eddie Callow Lead Guitar, Jess Gilmore Guitar/Vocals and Jeff Amador Bass.  Even though HellHeart is a newer band you will be surprised to find out how much they […]

By November 12, 2017 Read More →
Cup of Joe

Cup of Joe

5 Spots for Coffee in Downtown Modesto Preservation Coffee & Tea 1030 J Street-They take coffee as seriously as we do. Quick and friendly service regardless if you want just a cup of joe or one of their signature drinks. Great spot to hang out with some friends or get some work done and check out […]

By November 11, 2017 Read More →
ComedyView

ComedyView

ComedyView By Felicia Aleman Hello, hello, hello.  It’s November and time to be thankful.  I’m thankful for winning the MAMA award.  After only a year and a half into comedy, it was quite an honor to be nominated and surprising to win.  The other nominees are more experienced and have all been supportive in booking […]

By November 5, 2017 Read More →
MAMAView Giving Thanks

MAMAView Giving Thanks

MAMAView Giving Thanks by Middagh Goodwin November is the Month of giving thanks. I know I am grateful for all the great entertainment opportunities we are afforded living right here in Modesto. It is amazing how much creativity surrounds and is available to us. What can you do to show your gratitude and support of […]

By November 5, 2017 Read More →
VeteranView

VeteranView

VeteranView By Chris Murphy Veterans Day is November 11. We remember and recognize those that have served and still serve today. We can’t forget the sacrifices that the few make for so many. It is important to remember as we face a more complicated world and we only go into battle only when necessary that […]

By November 4, 2017 Read More →
All Ages View – Lessons from the Beatles

All Ages View – Lessons from the Beatles

AllAgesView By Leia Johnson At five years old, ‘Here Comes the Sun’ was my favorite song. As all do, I grew and changed, but my love for The Beatles was firm. Last Spring, I took the Modesto Junior College class regarding the history of the British group. ‘The Music of The Beatles’ covers the magnitude […]

BigView – Making and Dreaming

BigView – Making and Dreaming

The BigView By Chris Murphy There is something special about this time of year. We are experiencing a wonderful harvest, pumpkin patches, corn mazes and the tastiest treats at our local farmer’s markets. But as we go into the fall, we are thinking about the people that create, make and invent. The holidays are not […]

Design View – Modestan Pioneers Mechanical Voting

Design View – Modestan Pioneers Mechanical Voting

DesignView Modesto designer pioneered early mechanical voting by Lee Davis, Founder, Modesto Design Collective (MO.DE) As we head to the polls this month, it seems only appropriate to feature a pioneering Modesto designer who invented an early 19th century voting machine. I ventured out on a chilly autumn morning to the Modesto Pioneer Cemetery to […]

Drake’s Brewing Brews Special Beer for Do Good Distillery Urban Outdoorsman

Drake’s Brewing Brews Special Beer for Do Good Distillery Urban Outdoorsman

Drake’s Brewing Brews Special Beer for Do Good Distillery, the Urban Outdoorsman by Christopher Mitchell and Brandilyn Brown Drake’s Brewing’s Barrel Project, run by Travis Camacho and Zack Bassett has been busy! Not only did they collaborate with Do Good previously on the Benevolent Brew, a beer created to match Do Good’s Benevolent Czar, now […]

By November 3, 2017 Read More →
GEEKView

GEEKView

GEEKView by Middagh Goodwin If you are a Geek you are very lucky to be living not just in this era where so many cool Movies and TV shows are being made, but in the 209 where we are fortunate to have so many Conventions happening in our own backyard. November 4th and 5th take […]

By October 31, 2017 Read More →
Invitational A Visual and Colorful Meditation of Colin Kaepernick at CSUS “ART SAVES LIVES MAKE AMERIKA JACK’d AGAIN”

Invitational A Visual and Colorful Meditation of Colin Kaepernick at CSUS “ART SAVES LIVES MAKE AMERIKA JACK’d AGAIN”

Cal State University Stanislaus in Turlock to display art by The Phantom Street Artist in exhibit “Make Amerika Jack’d Again” in the University Art Gallery Will run October 9th through November 10th, with a special performance on November 9th at 4pm. Press Release by The Phantom Street Artist The Phantom Street Artist has been a long-term artist, […]

By October 30, 2017 Read More →
ComedyView Hello Hello Hello

ComedyView Hello Hello Hello

By Felicia Aleman Hello, hello, hello. It’s October, and while you are thinking of Halloween, some of us are thinking about the MAMA Awards. Vote for your favorite comic at www.ModestoAreaMusic.com until October 8. The 2017 nominees are Jason Sohm, Anthony K., Serena Gamboa, Chris Teicheira, Taylor Evans, Nick Larson, Connor Martin, Saul Trujillo, AJ Demello and Felicia […]

By October 19, 2017 Read More →
5 Questions with The Panduhs’ Neil Cassidy

5 Questions with The Panduhs’ Neil Cassidy

5 Questions with The Panduhs’ Neil Cassidy  By Monica Barber     For The Panduhs new album, frontman Neil Cassidy found his muse on the basketball court. Switching up your aesthetic is a sure way to get the attention of your audience but the transformation of The Panduhs on the new album is so effortless […]

By October 18, 2017 Read More →
MAMAView MAMA Turning 18

MAMAView MAMA Turning 18

The Modesto Area Music Awards celebrates performers from around the greater Modesto Area. Over the last 18 Years, we have seen some Winners go on to National and International Fame; Flying Blind, Grandaddy, Moonshine Bandits, DEV, UVR, and Megan Slankard have all found success beyond the 209. This year the MAMAs celebrate 18 years and […]

By October 7, 2017 Read More →
BluesView Wednesday Friendsdays and more!

BluesView Wednesday Friendsdays and more!

Hello everybody and welcome to the best month of the year aka my birthday month! I’m turning 41 and I’m having more fun than ever. It’s music, I say music, that is the fountain of youth and on that note, let’s talk shows. On the 3rd is an event called the Downtown Sampler and if […]

By October 1, 2017 Read More →