Community

Modesto is our town. There are tons of things that make it great. There are a bunch of things that we can do to make it better. We can volunteer, help others, give ideas, talk a lot, gather together, get a new job and a variety of things. We try to make it easier to find some community resources to make life better and more fun.

When a friend comes up to you and complains, “I would really like to volunteer, but I don’t know where to go”, you have a snappy answer. Here are some organizations that really need help. Whether you have time, money, ideas or all of the above, please contact these organizations and help our community. Every project, no matter how small will have a positive impact. There are so many things in Modesto that make our community great. This page has a variety of resources to help make you aware of things that we all can do in our city. Here are some main issues that you need to know.

community

Pencils to Pixels

Pencils to Pixels

Pencils to Pixels: The Process of Comic Art by Allen Passalaqua offered at MJC Art Gallery (Modesto, CA) – The Modesto Junior College Department of Art presents Pencils to Pixels: The Process of Comic Art by Allen Passalaqua from January 9 through February 1, 2018, in the MJC Art Gallery on the East Campus, 435 College Avenue, Modesto.  The gallery is open 11 a.m. […]

By January 5, 2018 Read More →
The Danger Element

The Danger Element

There will be a FREE PREMIERE screening of the locally produced film “The Danger Element” on February 24, 2018, at 7:00 pm in the Modesto Junior College main auditorium. After the screening, there will be a Q&A session with some of the actors including Doug Jones who is currently starring in the TV series “Star Trek: Discovery” as well as Guillermo […]

By January 4, 2018 Read More →
Cold Weather Hot Music

Cold Weather Hot Music

Songwriter View Cold Weather, Hot Music. By Patty Castillo Davis The Latin word for January means door since January is the door to the new year and opening to new beginnings. Begin 2018 like this-resolve to actively support your favorite local venues. Last year saw the dissolution of places to create art. Put your money […]

By January 3, 2018 Read More →
ChefView – New Beginnings and New Teamwork

ChefView – New Beginnings and New Teamwork

ChefView By Chris Murphy New Beginnings and New Teamwork John Surla was our very first ChefView interview when I started ModestoView. It is only fitting that we start here again as we head into 2018 as there is a great new beginning. John has been a leader in the Modesto culinary community and he commitment […]

InterView – The Rebirth of the Shire

InterView – The Rebirth of the Shire

A new art age dawns in downtown Modesto. By Chris Murphy There is no fun in the world without reinvention. Some chapters have to close so that new ones begin. Many of our stories are the same. When I was in high school my culture came from the Bay Area, Berkeley in particular. I moved […]

Big View – The Next Bright Idea!

Big View – The Next Bright Idea!

The BigView By Chris Murphy Do you see that spark? Is it lightning? Is a lightbulb exploding? No, it was another great idea that will help us spark a new era in our city. We can’t let up. It seems like we try some of the same things, maybe get frustrated when things don’t work […]

By January 2, 2018 Read More →
GEEKView the Cosies are Coming

GEEKView the Cosies are Coming

GEEKView The Cosies are Coming By Middagh Goodwin The Cosies have become such a fun event and helps to join together the Cosplay Community not just in the 209 but in Northern California. Celebrating Three years at the West Side Theatre in downtown Newman California on Saturday, January 13th. The day is kicked off with […]

By January 1, 2018 Read More →
ComedyView Start Fresh

ComedyView Start Fresh

ComedyView Start Fresh By Felicia Aleman Hello, hello, hello.  Hope you’ve recovered from all those jingling bells, decked halls and falalalala’s.  It’s January and it’s time to start fresh. Also, just going to put this out there–I like fruitcake, so if you have any extra hanging around, let me know… Hey, why hasn’t anyone stepped […]

BluesView Happy New Year

BluesView Happy New Year

BluesView By Earl Matthews Happy new year folks. I don’t know about you but I plan on having some fun and trying some new things this year. One thing I won’t change is my love of live music, so on that not let’s see whats going on in the blues. In the first week of […]

MAMAView Resolutions

MAMAView Resolutions

MAMAView: Resolutions By Middagh Goodwin It is a new year, and with it, we all seem to make Resolutions. Maybe work out more, go on a diet, reconnect with old friends or family, go back to school. Unfortunately, most never follow through on these. I would like to challenge everyone who reads the ModestoView to […]

GreetingsView – Light Bulb Moments!

GreetingsView – Light Bulb Moments!

Greetings & Happy New Year Modesto Friends, Do you ever have those light bulb moments, where you think you have solved all of the world’s problems? I kind of have a lot of them, but so quickly they are gone and I wish I had written them down. Who knows how many thoughts like this […]

BargainView- New Year’s Savings

BargainView- New Year’s Savings

BargainView By Monica Barber Start the New Year by Saving! Start off the New Year with a fresh mindset and fill it with new experiences. The month of January welcomes great ways to embrace & spread positivity and joy as brightly as you can. Ms. M finds herself slinking into an oversized chair in a […]

PerformingView – New Year Tradition

PerformingView – New Year Tradition

PerformingView By Kaye Osborn Hello 2018! I believe a new year is a time for fresh starts and small changes. Don’t you? New Year’s Resolutions often focus on losing weight, exercising, eating healthier! Why not celebrate your new year by going to a live performance, or become an usher at Gallo, or volunteer for a […]

By January 1, 2018 0 Comments Read More →
Farm to Pint: Blaker Brewing

Farm to Pint: Blaker Brewing

Farm to Pint: Blaker Brewing Back before the prohibition, a town wasn’t really considered a town until it has its own brewery. Then when alcohol was banned, we lost our little breweries. We live in exciting times, as we are going back to our roots, with breweries opening in the Central Valley on a regular […]

Get ModestoView In Your InBox Weekly

Get ModestoView In Your InBox Weekly

E-mailView Hey friends, you can now get ModestoView in your inbox weekly on Monday Mornings. Are you worried that you might be missing something? Don’t have time to check our aps? Have a few spare hours? What tickets are going on sale? Who’s got a new cocktail? Did something slip by in our Facebook feed? […]

By December 21, 2017 Read More →