Community

Modesto is our town. There are tons of things that make it great. There are a bunch of things that we can do to make it better. We can volunteer, help others, give ideas, talk a lot, gather together, get a new job and a variety of things. We try to make it easier to find some community resources to make life better and more fun.

When a friend comes up to you and complains, “I would really like to volunteer, but I don’t know where to go”, you have a snappy answer. Here are some organizations that really need help. Whether you have time, money, ideas or all of the above, please contact these organizations and help our community. Every project, no matter how small will have a positive impact. There are so many things in Modesto that make our community great. This page has a variety of resources to help make you aware of things that we all can do in our city. Here are some main issues that you need to know.

community

Firestorm2018 Art Signing

Firestorm2018 Art Signing

“FIRESTORM 2018″ ART SIGNING AND SHOWING SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 1ST– OCTOBER 15TH -AT SONORA’S JOE’S COFFEE EMPORIUM & GALLERY Sonora Joe’s Coffee Emporium is located at 140 South Washington Street, Sonora, CA (209) 533-4455 General times for art exhibit: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm (call first) SONORA- Artist oil painter- Patrick Michael Karnahan will be exhibiting his latest […]

By August 31, 2018 Read More →
GeekView: September Cons

GeekView: September Cons

GeekView: September By Middagh Goodwin August ended strong with two great pop culture conventions. StocktonCon and Santa Clara Toy Expo on back to back weekends(check out pictures from both on the ModestoView FB page). If you missed those don’t despair you can always fulfil your geeky fix at Turlock Comic-Con on Labor Day September 3rd […]

By August 30, 2018 Read More →
MAMA Season

MAMA Season

MAMAView: Season is Upon Us By Middagh Goodwin      It is once again that time of year; it is MAMA season. This year there were over 500 nominees in 20 plus categories to be considered for nominations. At the beginning of July, emails were sent out to previous years winners and other, area promoters, music writers and […]

By August 30, 2018 Read More →
Volunteer Receives National Points of Light Award

Volunteer Receives National Points of Light Award

Community Hospice Volunteer Receives National Points of Light Award Ms. Inez Lewis, a longtime Community Hospice Volunteer, has been awarded a Daily Points of Light award for her outstanding service and dedication. The Daily Points of Light Award, created by the administration of President George H. W. Bush, honors one individual or group each weekday that has made a positive impact […]

By August 29, 2018 Read More →
September BrewView: Corbin Cash Sweet Potato Spirits from Ground to Glass

September BrewView: Corbin Cash Sweet Potato Spirits from Ground to Glass

BrewView Corbin Cash Sweet Potato Spirits: from Ground to Glass by Brandilyn Brown and Christopher Mitchell The Souza family have been established farmers since 1917, now entering its fifth generation of farmers. The Souzas are big into creating jobs, wanting to revitalize agriculture by pulling young people in to create life-long careers out of farming. […]

By August 28, 2018 Read More →
Junior Giants Volunteers Needed

Junior Giants Volunteers Needed

The Junior Giants Festival The San Francisco Giants will be hosting the Junior Giants Festival Monday, September 3rd at AT&T Park and need as many volunteers as possible. The shifts are from 7:30 AM – Noon, 11:30 AM – 4, 3:30 – 7:30 or All Day (7:30 AM – 7:30 PM). If you are available, […]

BluesView Summertime Blues

BluesView Summertime Blues

BluesView: Summertime Blues By Earl Matthews Hello everyone, the dog days of summer are here again, and for some crazy reason, that means there is a ton of fun stuff going on. In fact, there is so much to do that I hope you look at the calendar because I don’t have room to talk […]

By August 13, 2018 Read More →
ArtView – Hot August Nights

ArtView – Hot August Nights

Art View By Jim Christiansen I hope Hot August Nights aren’t as hot as July Art Walk. But rain or shine, downtown Third Thursday Art Walk goes on. In case you missed it, there is some carryover into August for show openings you might missed. First one to close is the Celebration of Fiber Arts […]

Unplugged View – The Little Sparrow

Unplugged View – The Little Sparrow

Unplugged View By Aaron Rowan The Little Sparrow I remember thinking that if Neil Young were here to witness this, he would have offered her a slot at his Bridge School Benefit concert then and there. Of all the musical moments I’ve curated, this is the one I recall most vividly and fondly – Effie […]

By August 12, 2018 Read More →
InterView – Joe Traina

InterView – Joe Traina

InterView Joe Traina and the Fruityard By Chris Murphy The Traina family has long been synonymous with locally grown fruit and vegetables. Long timers know their Traina dried food that’s produced in Patterson, California and many know the great prime rib and the Sunday brunches at the Fruit Yard east of Modesto. Over the years, […]

All AgesView – Waiting for Picture

All AgesView – Waiting for Picture

AllAgesView By Leia Johnson “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” -William Butler Yeats Happy Leo season! With the Sun in Leo, there are feelings of independence, expressiveness, and playfulness! These are the perfect tools for beginning the school year. You can use your elevated independence to spend […]

SongwriterView Best Month of Summer

SongwriterView Best Month of Summer

AUGUST 2018 SONGWRITER VIEW The Best Month of Summer By Patty Castillo Davis After months of sweltering conditions, we finally feel a tempering in the weather and a swell in music festivals. You know what I mean, dirty feet, mosquito bites, stringed instruments like you’ve never seen before, 11 part harmonies, smoke for days and […]

Earth’s Treasures

Earth’s Treasures

On the fourth weekend of September, bring your family to the Lodi Grape Festival Fairgrounds for the Earth’s Treasures Gem and Mineral Show. Pan for gold, open geodes, examine fossils, explore for crystals, learn how to turn rocks into gems and jewelry. Lots of precious things for sale. September 22 and 23, ten to five. Admission, […]

GeekView StocktonCon

GeekView StocktonCon

GEEKView: StocktonCon By Middagh Goodwin I have said it before, and I will say it again, for a “geek” it is a great time to be alive. When I was younger we were lucky to have one or at most two movies released in a year, we watched re-runs of Star Trek and Batman on […]

Edible Extravaganza Celebrates 32 Years

Edible Extravaganza Celebrates 32 Years

Center for Human Services Celebrates 32nd Annual Edible Extravaganza! Center for Human Services’ Edible Extravaganza is back! This year, Edible Extravaganza celebrates 32 years as the Central Valley’s most-anticipated food and beverage show. Last year, more than 1,200 people attended this signature event, with this year’s event projected to be just as popular. The 32nd Edible Extravaganza […]

By August 8, 2018 Read More →